Welcome to Wrekin Class!
Wrekin class is taught by Miss Fox and is supported by Mrs Al-Sadek, Mrs Garner and Miss Brown.
As a school we are using the online learning platform called 'Seesaw'. You can access this by using the website https://web.seesaw.me/
or you can download the app from the app store which looks like this;
Everyone has been given a log in. Your child's log in was sent via email. If you have any problems with this, please let me (Miss Fox) know by emailing email@example.com
Activities will be uploaded to seesaw for your child to complete every day.
Here are some links you may find useful in addition to the activities on Seesaw;
- https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-2/ - as a school we follow the white rose maths scheme so I have included their website that has some free resources linked to numerous areas of maths, including some home learning videos.
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/please-log-in?open_loginbox=true – this is the reading scheme we follow as a school. This website has free eBooks for you to access. You can either listen to the book via the audio feature or read it. I have created a class log in, see below:
- For listening to stories you can use this website; https://www.storylineonline.net/
- https://classroom.thenational.academy/schedule-by-year/year-2 This link will give you daily lessons linked to each subject we teach in school. Each lesson has a video with activity ideas.
- https://ttrockstars.com/ - each child has a log in for Times Table Rockstars. This supports your child with their multiplication tables. If you need your child's log in, please let me know via the admin email address.
- https://play.numbots.com/#/account/school-login/16325 - your child also has a log in to Numbots, an app or website that aims to support your child's understanding of the foundations in maths.
Well Wrekin class, the year hasn’t started the way we’d hoped but I am sure all your hard work on Seesaw at home will make up for it.
This term our topic is called ‘Australian Adventure’. We will launch this topic by exploring some key facts about Australia, including where it is, how big it is, how many people live there and how hot it is in comparison to the United Kingdom. This will lead us into our Geography when we’ll explore continents and oceans. We may even go on a virtual holiday to Australia so pack your suitcase!
In English this term, we will be exploring a range of texts linked to our theme. We will initially focus on non-fiction texts about ourselves, including recounts. After that we’ll explore information texts all about Australia. This will include looking at the features, finding facts and using headings and subheadings. We will then move on to tradition stories with a focus upon our inference skills and exciting vocabulary. Later in the term, we will write our own poems following the structure of calligrams, ensuring we include rhyming couplets.
To start this term’s maths, we will revisit addition and subtraction to ensure we are all confident with it. We will then begin go explore multiplication and division by looking at sharing and grouping and the difference between these concepts. Each day the children will be presented with a challenge, linked to the lesson, that aims to develop their reasoning and problem solving skills. We will then explore shape, fractions and length and height within measurement. Within each of these topics we will revisit place value it underpins everything we do in maths.
We also have Times Table Rockstars and Numbots that the children can play at home. It aims to support their quick recall of multiplication facts and number facts. If your child needs a reminder of their log in, please speak to Miss Fox.
Home school link book
We are so excited to introduce you to our new home school link book. We understand how tricky it is for your child to remember lots of books every day, so we have created one book which will have everything you and your child will need in. The aim of the book is to share information and also to share celebrations.
Here are some examples of what will be in your child’s book;
- Spellings of the week – including their spelling test
- Number facts they’re currently working on
- Weekly tick sheet for reading at home, including comments from adults they read to at home
- Comments from the adults in class when they have read to us
- Comprehension questions for your child to answer at home
- WOW work they and we are proud of
- Usernames and passwords for online homework (Times Table Rock Stars and Numbots).
- Information about special events such as visits.
So we can ensure your child receives all the information they need on a daily basis, please make sure they bring in their home school link book every day. This will stop you and your child missing important information.
Reading is key in unlocking your child’s potential. It helps them in every area of their learning and will lead to better exam results and jobs in the future.
Just 10 minutes a day will help to develop your child’s reading skills.
Please read with your child every day to help develop not only their reading skills but also their love of reading.
All children will bring home a reading book every night. They will be given the opportunity to change this book during our guided reading sessions.
Use this book to log and comment when you have read with your child. Your child will be entered into the reading raffle in accordance with how many times they read at home (with a maximum of 5 times – once a day). If they read 5 times in a week, they will receive a reading buddy.
Each week your child will receive a comprehension question in their book. This is for them to answer at home about the book they are currently reading. This will then be checked and marked by the adults in class.
In addition to this each class has devised a list of top 10 books. The children have access to these books to read as and when they choose. The books are also read by the adults in the class during story time. For this list of books please ask Miss Fox.
Please continue to support your child by listening to them read each night and supporting them in practicing their spellings that will be sent home.
Children also have number facts books and we would be grateful if you could help them learn their number facts. These include: counting in multiples, key facts about numbers, dividing etc. They will be tested on these key facts once a week.
As I am sure you are all aware, we use 'Numbots' and 'Times Table Rockstars' which is a fun and exciting way to support your child with their number knowledge and times tables. This has proved to be very effective in building the foundations for children's maths skills.
Please ask Miss Fox if you would like to be reminded of your child's log in details.
Please see the document attached to the bottom of this page for further information about how to log in.
If you have any problems please get in touch with Miss Fox.
- Reading book and home link book (every day).
- PE is on Mondays and Wednesdays - children will only need trainers OR pumps.
- Forest school is on a Tuesday afternoon. Children are to come in their Forest School kit (clothes and shoes you don't mind them getting mucky). They will stay in these clothes all day so do not need to bring uniform. During the colder and wetter weather, please could you send your child in with a water proof coat and wellies.
For forest school the children are split into two groups. One week your child will do forest school and the following week they will do art, D&T and music. This is so the children get a longer session for these subjects.
To save confusion, we are happy for you to send your child in their forest school clothes every Tuesday.