Through teaching French, we intend the children to learn the following threshold concepts:
- Read fluently
This concept involves recognising key vocabulary and phrases.
- Write imaginatively
This concept involves using key vocabulary and phrases to write ideas.
- Speak confidently
This concept involves using key vocabulary and phrases to verbally communicate ideas.
- Understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
This concept involves the background knowledge and cultural capital needed to infer meaning from interactions.
We expect every child to develop the following essential characteristics of a linguist:
• The confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation.
• Fluency in reading.
• Fluency and imagination in writing.
• A strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
• A passion for languages and a commitment to the subject.
• The ability to use language creatively and spontaneously.
• An independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources.
We currently use the Salut scheme of work to support the Teaching of French across Key Stage 2.
This is supplemented by the use of reading books and short stories and rhymes.