At The Wilfred Owen School, we strive for all children to have a positive attitude towards Mathematics, to be fluent across the fundamental mathematical concepts and to have a secure and deep understanding of their mathematics so that they can reason and apply their understanding to problem solving situations.
It is our intent that Maths Teaching at The Wilfred Owen School secures:
• An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics.
• A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics.
• Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
• The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual.
• The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, showing a confidence of success.
• The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts.
• The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
• Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques.
• A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
• A commitment to and passion for the subject.
A deep understanding is achieved by learning each topic in greater depth. Children master concepts rather than learning procedures by rote. Number sense and place value comes first, and is of great importance as it underpins everything mathematical. We recognise that fluency is not just about remembering facts but being able to apply those facts to all areas of their mathematical learning.