Teacher: Mrs Heaton Cooper
Teaching assistants: Mrs Hollis, Miss Williams and Miss Brudenell
Welcome back to school and to Year 6! We hope you are ready for a busy term.
This term our topic is based on the National Gallery initiative ‘Take One Picture’. The picture selected is ‘Men of the Docks’ by George bellows. We will be investigating the arrival of refugees into the United States of America over the past centuries. Part of the initiative is the creation of work which will be displayed in the National Gallery in London from schools across the country. We will be contributing work for this show.
Our English this term will cover a variety of fiction and non-fiction genres with some linked to our topic. This will included fictional diary entries based on the novel ‘The Arrival’ and the picture book ‘Beegu’; the study of a variety of film narratives; comparative, chronological and non-chronological reports and biographies to explain our learning about the life of immigrants to America, as well as a little Harry Potter!
In Maths, we plan to extend our knowledge of the number system. This term, we will be focusing on place value, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division facts, fractions, decimals and percentages.
Linked to the painting by George Bellows, in Grinshill class we will be learning about immigration in America, why it happened and its importance as well as and what it was like to be an immigrant at the start of the 1900s. In Geography, we will be learning about the human and physical features of North and South America and where immigrants travelled from across the world. We also aim to look at the fashion in America during the early 1900s and have a go at creating our own clothing and investigate textiles.
Tuesday: Football and Orienteering with Mr Smith.
Friday: Gymnastics and Dance with Mrs Heaton Cooper
- PE kit – Tuesdays and Fridays
- Reading books every day with reading diary. Please encourage your child to read at least 3 times a week.
- Number Facts – please test your child regularly on their number facts and all multiplication times tables up to 12 x 12.
- Forest school kit will NOT be necessary until after half term
- 20.9.19 – Jeans for genes (wear denim)
- 24.9.19 – School photographs
- 26.9.19 – Italian lunch/European day of languages.
- 3.10.19 – Special taster menu for lunch
- 24.10.19 – Parents evening
- 25.10.19 – PD Day (School closed)
- 5.11.19 – Bonfire lunch
- 8.11.19 – Year 6 class assembly
- 16.12.19 – Pantomime
- 18.12.19 – Christmas dinner
- 19.12.19 – KS2 carol concert
- 20.12.09 – Last day of term – non-uniform day
- TT Rocks stars
- Weekly Spellings